What is a knowledge organiser?
A knowledge organiser is a document, usually no more than two sides of A4, that contains key facts and information that children need, to have a basic knowledge and understanding of a topic.
Most knowledge organisers will include:
- the essential facts about the topic, usually laid out in easily digestible chunks
- key vocabulary or technical terms and their meanings
- the historical skills the children will be taught (taken from the progression of skills document)
- key questions and 'big ideas' that will be discussed in order to promote historical enquiry
- images such as maps or diagrams
- famous quotations, if relevant